As I started compiling my own list of possible things to do with my kids this summer. I thought it would be nice to share my list! Complete with links! Summer in and around Charlotte is a lot of fun! Feel free to bookmark this page as a quick reference guide - I know I will be!
1. The Anne Springs Greenway: I have a family membership here and we will be visiting here to hike and enjoy the summer. The Greenway also offers various daily and special event week long camps for your kids. There are camps with emphasis on introducing your child to various sports, music, dancing, cheerleading, and science. Check them out here: http://www.ascgreenway.org/assets/doc/Anne-Springs-Close-Greenway-Summer-Camps-2016-22c6596ea5.pdf
2. The library : locally that is the Fort Mill Public Library - they offer various activities over the summer that are free. Some do require registration because spots are limited. I loved "once upon a lap" and toddler time this past year. http://www.yclibrary.org/kids/index.php
3. The Rock Hill Children's Museum : listed with Culture and Heritage Museums in Rock Hill. They offered free admission to military members and their families last year - be sure to ask! The attractions include Historic Brattonsville ( I can not wait to check out), McCelvey Center, and the Museum of York County. http://chmuseums.org/childrens/
4. The Discovery Place: A little known fact is that there are 4 different locations around Charlotte and a family membership gets you into all of them. The Discovery Place also offers camps for kids over the summer! http://www.discoveryplace.org
5. Local Parks: There is the Walter Elisha Park in downtown Fort Mill, SC, Windjammer Park in Tega Cay, SC (parking pass required), and parks in Baxter which have some with fences around for those of us keeping an eye on more that one young child at a time. I also love Freedom Park in Charlotte, NC, they have an awesome, huge play area for the kids and a simulated Panther Football training area for the kids. You can also rent bikes there and this is the site for a lot of summer events in Charlotte! http://charmeck.org/mecklenburg/county/ParkandRec/Parks/ParksByRegion/CentralRegion/Pages/Freedom.aspx
6. Lake Shore Summer Camps: I have heard nothing but good things about this place - a local favorite. They have day camps for ages 2 through first grade. http://lakeshorecf.com/preschool-2/
7. Carowinds - a huge amusement park that offers season passes and has fun for the whole family! https://www.carowinds.com
8. YMCA - locally the one in Baxter (Fort Mill, SC) is known as the Upper Palmetto YMCA and they offer various camps and activities all summer for kids of all ages! They also have a very awesome outdoor pool with the best water play area for kids I have ever seen at a YMCA! http://www.upymca.org/locations/fort-mill/camps/
9. Playdates: My daughter will have a weekly playdate with a friend from her preschool class. I plan on utilizing Hobby Lobby for craft ideas for these play dates! Hobby lobby's website has a whole do it yourself section with videos. http://www.hobbylobby.com
10. Art Space Studio - I have made lots of cool projects as gifts for my family here. They have summer camps, kids events and a kids night out. http://www.artspacestudio.com/#!summer-camp-2016/c82h
11. Bakers Buzzin or cooking projects at home - Bakers buzzin has some cool workshops and camps offered for the kiddos this summer. http://bakers-buzzin.com . Cooking at home can be fun too! Here is a website that specializes in kid recipes and ideas : http://www.kidspot.com.au/kitchen/occasions/cooking-with-kids
12. Swim Lessons are always a good idea too! Everywhere I have asked Aqua tots is always highly recommended. A membership is required, but can be cancelled at any time. They are very good about working with you to find a time that works for you. Sign up for certain class times is usually 2 weeks out and not before. http://www.aqua-tots.com/locations/usa/north-carolina/charlotte/
This is my list! I am sure there are many more possibilities and things to do, but this is where I am going to start! I hope this was helpful for all my parents out there!!!
April of Running Mom Photography